Serving

“It seemed good to me also ... to write.”
Luke 1:3

The fact that others had written the story of Jesus and the Good News did not hinder Luke from taking up the pen. He acknowledged the fact that many “have taken in hand to set in order a narrative of those things which are most surely believed among us” (1:1), but “it seemed good to me also ... to write,” he said. 

Sometimes we become stagnant because others seem to be doing all the work. Why offer to teach Sunday school if there are plenty of teachers? Why join the choir when it has a full contingent of sopranos?  Why write a book when others have written before us? Why visit the sick when there’s a committee appointed to do all that?

The answer to the “why” is found here in our text. “It seemed good to me also!” What others do is their business; what I do is mine. We need to find the good will of God for our lives and to do it “heartily as unto the Lord.”  Jesus said, “I have finished the work which You have given Me to do,” and then He went home to heaven. 

We must do the same; whether others have taught, sung, written, or visited the sick before us is really quite irrelevant. We must seek His face, discover our gifts, and do His will with all our might. When it “seems good” to me, and I sense His direction, I go ahead and leave the rest to Him.  

I invite you to start praying to God on how you are being called to serve in God's house here at RLC.  You never know how God will use you.  

Blessings on the journey
Pr. Imani N. Dodley

Comments

Popular Posts