The Wilderness Experience

During my vacation I had the opportunity to do a variety of hikes.  One of these hikes was in the Coconino National Forest and the trail as you enter it literally says points out that you are entering the  wilderness.  As we hiked and hit the 6 mile mark I started thinking of Elijah and his trek through the wilderness and how he must of felt.  He was more than likely, hot, tired, depressed, hungry, scared, feeling dejected, without hope and thirsty.  I felt a little bit of all of those feelings.

You see in the 1 Kings 19 text we see Jezebel threatening Elijah and he "was afraid and got up and fled for his life" by running away by foot into the wilderness.  This prophet is physically and emotionally tired after treading along and probably not sleeping the best.  And in the midst of it all says these words, "It is enough; now O Lord, take away my life, for I am no better than my ancestors."  (verse 4)

And in that moment of feeling without hope we see an the angel of God come to provide him with sustenance so that he can continue on and find time to rest and reflect.  Something that was needed before he had an encounter with God.

My time during these hikes and seeing the earth that had quaked, the trees that had been marred by fire and elk and bears larger than life as well as rattlesnakes along my path provided me with the background for being able to hear the voice of God in the midst of the quaking aspens through the gentle breeze.  In the midst of this time it allowed me hear the still small voice of God and answer the question like Elijah, "what are you doing here?"

What are you doing here?  Its a question that seems to vibrate in my ears since this time of wilderness journey.  It is a question that on the onset, people may think God was asking about location of Elijah. No, it is so much deeper?

What are you doing here suggests so much more.

What are you doing here suggests calling.

What are you doing here suggests stop standing still.

What are you doing here suggest there are instructions to do something.

What are you doing here suggests God is inviting us to catch up with his leading.

What are WE doing here as a church, as a people, as individuals that helps to spread the message of who God is?

The message of love and forgiveness.

The message of grace and mercy.

The message of acceptance and tolerance.

The message of - even though there are things going on around you I will be there with you.

What are we - what are you - doing?

Blessings on the journey
Rev. Imani N. Dodley

Comments

Popular Posts